- CHARMING VICTORIAN RESIDENCE
- 4 BEDROOMS
- SITTING ROOM, LOUNGE, DINING ROOM & GARDEN ROOM
- EXTENSIVE LAWNED GARDENS & MATURE GROUNDS
- LARGE DETACHED DOUBLE GARAGE IDEAL FOR THE AVID CAR COLLECTOR
- ICONIC ASTBURY VILLAGE GREEN LOCATION
***WATCH OUR ONLINE VIDEO TOUR***
The Chantry is a delightful and charming Victorian residence at the heart of Cheshire’s most picturesque village. On the edge of the scenic Cheshire Peak and conveniently served by fast motorway, high-speed rail and international air links, Astbury is an ideal location for your family, home and business.
At the heart of the Astbury Conservation Area and close to the original Roman settlement which gave the village its name, The Chantry nestles below the iconic Church of St Mary. An imposing battlemented church dating back to the 11th Century, with an unusual combination of spire and two towers, it provides a picturesque backdrop to Astbury’s much-photographed green, and its great sycamore tree.
Featured in seasonal celebrations, the Great Tree is particularly lovely during the Christmas period when draped with festive lighting, and in spring with Astbury’s meadow of daffodils stretching beneath its immense canopy. A most delightful vista featured in many calendars and magazines, and enjoyed from the windows of The Chantry.
The Astbury community is served by the highly commended Astbury St Mary's Church of England Primary School, Astbury Golf Club (18 holes, plus pro-shop and fine clubhouse), the Glebe Farm rural shops and café, and the acclaimed Egerton Arms Country Inn, with its real ales and fine food. The village is at the centre of an extensive network of safe rural walks and tracks, including the Macclesfield Canal and Mow Cop.
Congleton offers a perfect blend of cultural and leisure activities, and well-rated schooling. It hosts a choice of independent and multiple shops, as well as regular markets and craft fairs. The Daneside Theatre and the town’s Jazz & Blues Festival enhance an active cultural scene. Astbury Mere Country Park is ideal for easy exploration. With Congleton’s broad range of restaurant and bars, you can effortlessly unwind from the working week with family and friends. The town’s retail park offers a Marks & Spencer Simply Food, a comprehensive Boots, a large Tesco and more. The town boasts independent butchers, florists and newsagents as well as essential services such as chemists, doctors and dentists, and a gateway local hospital.
Astbury has outstanding transport and communications links :
• Immediate access to A34 and the new Congleton Link Road, providing convenient main road travel to the North’s cities including Manchester, Leeds and Liverpool, and South to The Potteries, Newcastle under Lyme and Birmingham.
• Astbury is a 10 minute drive from junction 17 of the M6 Motorway, the North West’s primary arterial route, providing easy access to the surrounding areas, towns and cities.
• Manchester International Airport is only 18 miles away, offering direct flights to over 180 domestic and worldwide destinations.
• The major regional rail hub of Crewe is less than 12 miles by swift main roads, and will incorporate the new HS2 line, providing London links in 55 minutes.
• Congleton’s own railway station is 2 miles away, and provides frequent expresses to Manchester, and regular connections to Stoke on Trent and beyond.
• The Chantry is connected to the latest BT Full Fibre Broadband, offering download speeds up to 300Mb.
The Chantry is substantially built and well-maintained. With most attractive elevations, it retains much of its original charm and character, offering well-presented extended accommodation throughout. Its outside spaces must be highlighted: the large rear gardens and patio are a safe haven, ideal for families with young children ideal for any age group or gardener, as the grounds provide a spacious environment to socialise with friends and family. The secure gated driveway offers exterior parking for multiple cars, including charging for electric/hybrid cars.
The extensive detached double garage is superbly versatile, and allows the secure storage of at least two sizeable vehicles plus workshop. A substantial structure, it is also ideal for a variety of alternative uses such as a home office, leisure facility or gym, with additional first floor accommodation above the main 33sq m garage area.
This home offers further potential, with the vendor able to provide architect plans for alterations, changes or improvements, enabling owners to increase the value and grow their investment. The multi roomed layout provides a total of 1800sq ft (167sq m) which exceeds the size of those modern day contemporaries, and offers far more outside space and privacy too.
On entering, the main entrance delivers you to the reception hall favoured with a beautiful distressed pine staircase with matching panelling. The hall with concealed stairs down to the useful cellar offers doors to most of the reception rooms, including the sitting room, lounge, dining room and cloakroom. The galley kitchen to the rear of the property opens into the garden room which enjoys a pleasant aspect over the gardens.
The return staircase leading to the first floor leads to the main landing with access to each of the four bedrooms (bedroom 4 currently serving as a fitted dressing room and suited to a nursery or en suite).
Completing this floor is the family bathroom with three piece suite and a separate walk-in shower.